Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Missing Missouri

Planning a wedding, and graduate school, and work, can take a lot out of a person. It's even harder when your support base is several hundred miles away. So I tend to go home to Missouri at least once a month.


Including this past weekend, when I was headed toward a giant snowstorm. Luckily, I planned ahead and stopped for the night at the Holiday Inn Express in Mount Vernon, IL when the weather started getting bad. They let me have a pet-friendly room so Archie and I could be comfortable, had a restaurant that delivered quickly to the room, and free internet so I could track the storm's progress.

It meant a half a day's delay in getting there, but at least I got to see my sister, Andrew, and my mom and dad and Aunt Linda. Andrew and I went to brunch with Aunt Linda on Saturday, then my parent's came up and had dinner with us. We even played beer pong in my sister's house basement (with mom and me playing with grape juice).

That trip was exactly what I needed to stay on track in my life. Which is why I make the trek so often. The hassle and the expense is worth it to me.

No comments: